Video signals have always depended on precise synchronization along the entire delivery chain from camera to consumer display, whether in analog, digital or compressed formats. Timing drives every aspect of signal delivery, particularly synchronizing video to audio to achieve “lip sync.”
With the transition to IP networks for all aspects of the signal processing path, accurate timing becomes more difficult, due to the fundamentally asynchronous, non-deterministic nature of packet-based networks. Fortunately, a solution is available, in the form of IEEE 1588 Precision Time Protocol (PTP). When used properly, this technology can synchronize device clocks to within nanoseconds across a large network with many hundreds of nodes. When these clocks are derived from GPS (Global Positioning System) signals, PTP can provide a very accurate and stable timebase for all types of signals within modern media operations.
The Quarra line of PTP IP solutions compliment Artel's media delivery portfolio offering end users an excellent solution set for delivering real-time media IP network. As the broadcast industry continues to migrate toward all-IP networks, providing reliable solutions to manage IP-based workflows becomes paramount to maintaining efficiencies and ensuring the delivery of mission-critical multimedia streams.
The Quarra PTP Ethernet switches provide leading-edge precision timing protocol switch technologies and have become de-facto standards for the AES67/ SMPTE ST-2059-2 (IEEE1588) audio market interoperates with out solutions meeting the proposed SMPTE 2110 video standards.
Here's why one of our partners recommends the Quarra:
“The Quarra serves as the PTP master clock in our system design lab, qualifying the best master clock algorithm and making it possible to tweak the timing performance of our AES67/ST 2110-30 audio devices with tremendous accuracy — which was critical to perfecting the demonstrations people will see at NAB. By establishing a PTP boundary, the Quarra enables vital segmentation of the network to keep traffic negotiation under control. Quarra’s Ethernet connections support 100 Mbps throughput to allow many small edge devices to move large amounts of data with accurate PTP synchronization.
"We recommend Artel's Quarra switches to all of our customers for these 6 reasons above all:
- PTP boundary: Segmentation of a broadcast network is vital. With the Quarra, we keep the negotiation traffic under control.
- Ethernet: SFP connections add extraneous cost to audio infrastructures. Ethernet connections that support 100 Mb/s connections allow a number of small edge devices to move large amounts of data with accurate PTP synchronization.
- Rock Solid IGMP: Supporting all versions of IGMP allow seamless joins of senders and receivers.
- Size: The 10 port version allows us to leaf to more places with less cable.
- Lighting fast recovery time. 18 seconds VS 3 minutes... seriously!
- World-class support: Artel has been there for us and that says a lot about a product.
"Artel Video Systems has outdone themselves with the Quarra product line and I look forward to our continued relationship."